The County of Rockland, located in the lower Hudson Valley of New York, is seeking an experienced medical professional to lead the Department of Health as Commissioner and Medical Director. The Department of Health has an operating and personnel budget of approximately $78M, employs a staff of approximately 230, and is responsible for the delivery of public health services to over 340,000 residents within the County of Rockland. The Commissioner of Health stands at the forefront of all public health initiatives aimed at protecting and promoting optimal health for all residents. These include, but are not limited to, the oversight and direction of clinics, immunization programs, communicable diseases, emergency medical services, emergency and public health preparedness, environmental health, preventative health care and education, and the enforcement of applicable public health laws and sanitary codes.
The work is performed under the general direction of the County Executive and in accordance with obligations and liabilities granted or imposed by established laws and regulations.
Scope of Work (including, but not limited to, the following):
• Plan, direct, and administer local public health programs based on a Community Health Assessment and Community Health Improvement Plan; enforce state and local health laws, regulations and standards; and ensure agency compliance with the above;
• Interact with federal, state and local government officials, boards and advisory councils, medical, scientific and other professionals, lay groups and individuals;
• Develop and manage the local health department budget, ensuring appropriate expenditures of public funds through efficient operation of programs; this includes responsibility for contract and grant development and management, including negotiation of service contracts with other government agencies and community organizations, oversight of the reimbursement system and budget forecasting;
• Develop and enforce department operating policies and procedures in consultation with local governing authorities, the New York State Department of Health, professional staff of the local county health department, federal government agencies and in accordance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations;
• Oversee hiring, training, assigning work, and supervising staff;
• As Commissioner, act as medical director for the agency;
• Provide direct leadership and legal health authority for all local public health policies to address the health care needs of diverse communities;
• Provide information and consultation on health issues to the county administration, general public and health care providers;
• Conduct evaluation of the efficacy and efficiency of public health programs;
• Plan and direct analytic and research studies, as appropriate.
To be considered, candidates must meet, as a minimum, the following, pursuant to Section 11.11 (a) of the New York State Department of Health Sanitary Code:
1. Possession of a license to practice Medicine in New York State, and
2. Two (2) years of experience in administrative practice; and either
a.) A Master’s degree in Public Health from a regionally accredited or New York State-registered college or university that demonstrates core competencies of a Master’s in Public Health (Biostatistics, Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Policy, and Management, Social and Behavioral Sciences) or a Master’s degree in a related field (i.e., comparable curriculum)*; or
b.) Certification by the American Board of Preventive Medicine.
NOTE: The Commissioner of Health’s qualifications must be approved by the New York State Commissioner of Health prior to appointment.
*Consideration may be given for an incumbent to achieve a Master’s degree in Public Health or a related field within four (4) years of appointment.
Other Requirements and Information:
• The Commissioner of Health is a dedicated, full-time employee of the County of Rockland, with no other assigned responsibilities, and is on call 24/7.
• License to practice medicine in New York State must be maintained throughout the course of employment in this title.
• Residency in Rockland County must be maintained throughout the course of employment in this title.
• U.S. Citizenship is required.
Salary and benefits are competitive with the public sector market, and include, but are not limited to the following:
• Annual Salary range of $163,748 to $204,255 commensurate with experience;
• New York State Pension eligibility;
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance Plans;
• Paid leave, including vacation, personal, holiday and sick time;
• Voluntary participation in deferred compensation.
Salary: $163,748 to $204,255
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, proof of qualifications and references to: RocklandHealthCommissioner@co.rockland.ny.us