Job Type: Registered Nurse
Examination No. 18012
Last Filing Date August 6, 2018
Rating Date August 16, 2018
A Non-Refundable $15 Application Fee applies for this test. Incomplete applications will be disapproved.
VACANCIES: One vacancy at the present time. The Eligible List resulting from this examination will be used to fill any appropriate vacancies that may occur in this title during the life of the list.
The work involves responsibility for the performance of skilled nursing activities with individuals and families in accordance with the planned program of the Steuben County Public Health. The work is carried out in accordance with standard, modern, well-established and accepted professional skilled nursing practices. The incumbent is responsible for assessment of health needs and knowledge of principles, practices, terminology, disease epidemiology, and disease prevention. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director, Assistant Director or Public Health Coordinator, with leeway allowed the incumbent for the exercise of independent judgment in the carrying out of assignments as long as the agreed-upon plans and standard practices and procedures are followed. Assignments made to employees in this class require access to transportation to meet field work requirements made in the ordinary course of business in a timely and efficient manner. Does related work as required.
Possession of the minimum qualifications must be clearly demonstrated on your application.
Graduation from a regionally-accredited or New York State registered college or university with
- a bachelor’s degree in Nursing, or
- an associate’s degree in Nursing and one year of full time or equivalent part time experience in health care; or
- a Nursing diploma from a 3-year hospital based program and two years of full time or equivalent part time experience in health care.
Possession of a currently valid license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State is required for appointment and as a condition of continued employment.
NEW HIRE DRUG SCREENING: New hires will be required to submit to a drug and alcohol screening prior to employment with Steuben County. Candidate will cover the cost of the screening. A positive screening will delay and may bar hiring.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must have been legal residents of Steuben County for at least four months immediately preceding the Rating Date.
Salary: $42,712 - $52,259 Annually, depending on qualifications
SUBJECTS OF EXAMINATION: YOUR APPLICATION IS THE “EXAM”
There will be an evaluation of training and experience which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. If you meet the MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS your training and experience will be evaluated against the general background of the position. You are, therefore, asked to include in your Application a summary of all pertinent training and experience in sufficient detail so that your background may be evaluated against the duties of the position.
In your “SUMMARY OF TRAINING,” include:
- all college course work,
- formal in-service training, and
- seminars you have attended.
You must specify:
- either the number of credits received or the number of contact hours and
- dates of attendance.
Also, include a copy of your
- professional license or documentation indicating eligibility for licensure.
- Specify the date that your license was first issued.
In your “SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE” you must specify:
- the dates of your employment,
- the number of hours worked per week,
- your title, and
- the main duties of each.
Be specific; vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
Candidates who submit incomplete applications or documentation may be disqualified.
The rating scale for this examination has been prepared by the New York State Department of Civil Service. Rating will be performed by the Steuben County Department of Personnel and Civil Service, in accordance with Rule 10 of the Steuben County Civil Service Rules, using the State-developed rating scale.
$15 APPLICATION FEE: NO CASH ACCEPTED.
The New York State Civil Service Law requires our Office to collect an application fee. The amount of the fee is fifteen dollars ($15) per applicant for EACH examination applied for. Fee must be submitted with the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to “Steuben County Finance”. You must record the EXAMINATION NUMBER(S) and TITLE(S) on your check.
Applicants whose application forms are not accompanied by the appropriate fee or whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates. No Refunds. Also, no refund will be made to applicants who are disapproved or who fail to appear.
You are urged to compare your qualifications carefully with the requirements for admission and file only for those examinations for which you are clearly qualified. Assistance is available from our office in person or by telephone at (607) 664-2345.
MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS SCHEDULED FOR THE SAME DAY: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center.
- Applications and additional information are available at the Steuben County Department of Personnel and Civil Service, Steuben County Office Building, 3 East Pulteney Square, Bath, New York 14810, or by calling (607) 664-2345. Examination announcements are also available on the Internet at SteubenCony.org. Email email@example.com with questions.
- Applications postmarked after midnight of the “Last Filing Date” will be disapproved for this examination. If hand delivered, applications must be filed in the Steuben County Department of Personnel and Civil Service no later than 5:00 p.m. on the “Last Filing Date.”
- Falsification of any part of the “Application for Employment” will result in disqualification and possible legal action. Inquiries may be made as to character and ability and all statements made by candidates are subject to verification.
- Applicants must answer every question on the application form and provide an original signature. You may include a resume in addition to completing the application form, however, you may NOT substitute “See Resume” for completing any portion of the application form. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE DISAPPROVED.
- Be sure to keep a copy of your application materials. The Department of Personnel and Civil Service does not provide copies of records you submit.
- APPLICATION FEE WAIVER: A waiver of the application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of the application fee will be allowed if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, receiving Supplemental Security Income payments or Public Assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance); or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a State or local social service agency. All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification. If you can verify eligibility for an application fee waiver, complete Application item #13.
- Accepted candidates will be notified of when and where to appear for the exam approximately one week before the scheduled date of the exam. None will be admitted to the examination without the official admission notice. If an application is disapproved, due notice will be sent.
- This department does not make formal acknowledgment of the receipt of an application.
- If you have not received your notice to appear for the exam by three days before the exam date, call (607) 664-2345.
- TESTING ACCOMMODATIONS: If special arrangements for testing are required (i.e. religious observance, disability, temporary disability conditions), submit a written request describing your needs with the application form. See Application item #12.
- INTERVIEW ACCOMMODATIONS: If special arrangements for interviewing are required (i.e. disability, temporary disability conditions), submit a written request describing your needs with the application form. See Application item #12.
- VETERANS CREDITS: Active service members, veterans or disabled veterans desiring to claim additional credit may submit an “Application for Veteran’s Credit” accompanied by the form DD-214 prior to the establishment of the eligible list. The Form DD-214 may be submitted with your application for examination or at any time prior to the establishment of the resulting eligible list. It is your responsibility to see that the form DD-214 is submitted to this office. Failure to submit a copy of your DD-214 to this office prior to the establishment of any eligible list will result in no additional credit being granted.
- Military Service members on active duty on the exam date may request a military makeup exam by calling (607) 664-2345. Members on active duty or discharged during the exam filing period may apply for the exam up to ten days before the exam date.
- Per Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty are entitled to receive ten additional credits on an exam which may result in an original appointment in the municipality where the deceased parent served. Candidates eligible for additional credit should indicate this on their exam application.
- Candidates who fail the examination or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled will be eliminated from further consideration.
- Under specific circumstance, an alternate test date may be arranged in accordance with established policy. Your request and verifiable documentation should be submitted at least one week prior to the test date or in case of emergency no later than 5:00 p.m. on the next business day following the test. See Application item #12.
- This examination is being prepared by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of Civil Service Law. The provisions of New York State Civil Service Law, Rules, and Regulations dealing with the rating of exams will apply to this examination. Scoring and rating of the written portion will be performed by the Steuben County Department of Personnel and Civil Service in accordance with Rule 10 of the Steuben County Civil Service Rules using the State-developed rating scale. The computer program utilized for the performance test (if applicable) self-scores upon completion.
- Special Requirement for Appointment in School Districts and BOCES: Per Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, to be employed in a position designated by a school district or BOCES as involving direct contact with students, a clearance for employment for the State Education Department is required.
- Your degree and/or college credits must have been awarded by a regionally-accredited college or university or one recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If an educational institution outside of the United States and its territories awarded your degree and/or college credit you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can call or write to our Department for a list of acceptable companies providing this service; you must pay the required evaluation fee.
- Unless otherwise noted, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with Typewriter Keyboards, Spell Checkers, Personal Digital Assistants, Address Books, Language Translators, Dictionaries, or any similar devices are prohibited. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of a cell phone.