Job Type: Full-time
The Westchester County Department of Laboratories and Research has an immediate opening for a Director of Toxicology. The Toxicology Laboratory analyzes biological specimens for the presence of alcohol, drugs and other toxic compounds as a part of postmortem medicolegal investigations for the Westchester County Medical Examiner’s Office. The successful candidate will be responsible for directing the overall operations of the Toxicological Laboratory and supervising technical staff; ensuring that analytical, photographic and related interpretive services are provided to regional medical, law enforcement and medicolegal agencies in a timely, accurate and meaningful fashion.
Scope of Work (for illustrative purposes):
- Directs the overall operation of the Toxicology Laboratory by recommending the scope of laboratory programs, setting procedures, selecting and evaluating employees, authorizing requests for supplies and equipment and prepares the annual budget for the Laboratory;
- Directs the analysis of clinical and forensic samples, forensic evidence and the submission of reports based upon those analyses for clinical and forensic applications;
- Testifies in court as an expert witness in Forensic Toxicology regarding laboratory analyses and the significance of the results; and maintains complete, adequate and easily available records suitable for submission as court evidence;
- Controls the collection of statistical measures of workload indicators and narrative reports, and their dissemination for budgetary forecasting, the annual report, billing and grant compliance requirements;
- Establishes and maintains a training program; evaluates current and new methods of analysis; directs internal and external proficiency testing programs and participates in and directs research and development projects.
Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Toxicology, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Medical Technology, Pharmacology or a closely related field (including a minimum of twenty credits in Chemistry,) and six years of recent experience gained within the last seven years in an approved Toxicology Laboratory, which must have included three years of supervisory or administrative experience.
Salary: Please visit http://labs.westchestergov.com for more information. In addition to a competitive salary, our compensation package includes comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, deferred compensation, paid leave and retirement plan
Submit resumes and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com.
Important: Please indicate Director of Toxicology in the subject line of your e-mail.
Westchester County is an equal opportunity employer